Jazz up school lunchboxes with tasty homemade treats, like these apple-enriched pikelets.
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 300ml buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (140g) apple puree
- 20g butter, melted
- Combine flour and sugar in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Whisk egg and buttermilk together in a jug. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Whisk until smooth. Stir in puree.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Brush base with butter. Using tablespoons of batter at a time, cook in batches for 2 to 3 minutes or until small bubbles start to form on the surface of pikelets. Carefully turn over. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until cooked through. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.