Using ready-rolled pastry and canned fruit, this classic winter dessert is as easy-as-pie to make.
- 1 x 800g can apple pie fruit
- 1 x 410g can baker's diced peaches
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 60g (1/4 cup) demerara sugar
- 2 sheets (25 x 25cm) frozen ready-rolled shortcrust pastry, just thawed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly whisked
- Thick cream or custard, to serve
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Combine the apple, peach, cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a large bowl.
- Line a 20cm (base measurement) pie dish with 1 sheet of pastry. Trim excess pastry. Spoon the apple mixture over the base. Brush the edges with egg yolk.
- Place the remaining pastry sheet on top of the filling. Use a fork to press the edges together to seal. Trim excess pastry. Use a fork to prick the top of the pastry. Brush with remaining egg yolk and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes. Cover with foil and bake for a further 15-20 minutes or until golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool. Serve with cream or custard.