Use fresh apples and blackberries to make this delicious summer dessert with minimal effort.
- 600ml thickened cream
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup (155g) caster sugar
- 20g butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100g blackberries
- 1/2 cup (70g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) rolled oats
- 1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
- 50g butter, softened
- Place a shallow metal container in the freezer. Combine the cream, milk and vanilla bean in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer (do not boil). Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes to infuse.
- Whisk the egg yolks and caster sugar together in a large bowl until thick and pale. Gradually whisk in the cream mixture until well combined. Transfer to a clean saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 5-7 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Remove and discard the vanilla bean.
- Retrieve metal container from the freezer. Pour mixture into the container and cover with foil. Place in the freezer for 6 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the apple, sugar and cinnamon and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until apple is tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Remove container from freezer and use a metal spoon to break up the ice-cream. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Fold in the apple mixture and blackberries until just combined. Spoon evenly among serving glasses and place in the freezer for 4 hours or until firm.
- Meanwhile, to make the crumble topping, preheat an oven to 180°C. Combine the flour, oats and sugar in a medium bowl. Add the butter and use your fingers to rub into the flour mixture. Sprinkle onto an oven tray. Bake in oven, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the ice-cream and serve immediately.