Warm, sweet pies are made for cold winter weather, so tuck into this apple and apricot treat.
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 800g can apple pie fruit
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 3cm deep, 20cm (base) pie dish. Line dish with 1 sheet of pastry, trimming edges. Place a sheet of baking paper over pastry. Half-fill with uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove baking paper and rice. Bake for a further 10 minutes or until pastry is light golden. Set aside to cool.
- Combine apple, apricots, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Spoon into pie case. Brush edges of pastry with water.
- Cut 12 x 2cm-thick strips from remaining pastry. Arrange in a lattice pattern over pie. Brush with egg. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or cold.