Ask anyone the best way to cook Anzac bikkies and you're guaranteed a fight! Crunchy, chewy or crisp? To avoid World War III, try our basic recipe with crowd-pleasing twists (see Notes).
- 150g (1 cup) plain flour
- 90g (1 cup) rolled oats (see Notes)
- 85g (1 cup) desiccated coconut
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 125g butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine flour, oats, coconut and combined sugar in a large bowl.
- Stir the butter, golden syrup and water in a small saucepan over medium heat until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Stir in the bicarbonate of soda. Add to the oat mixture and stir until well combined.
- Roll level tablespoonfuls of the oat mixture into balls and place, about 5cm apart, on the prepared trays. Flatten until about 1cm thick. Bake, swapping trays halfway through cooking, for 15 minutes or until light golden. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.