This is a deliciously baked Mediterranean side featuring sourdough packed with salami, olives, eggplant and topped with dill and cheese. So simple to make, and so little effort as it's all cooked in one pan.
- 9 x 1.5cm-thick slices day-old sourdough
- 100g sliced salami
- 9 large slices chargrilled eggplant
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup finely grated pecorino cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill sprigs
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 7cm-deep, 19cm x 24cm, (2.3-litre-capacity) oval ovenproof dish.
- Using picture as a guide, layer bread, salami and eggplant upright in prepared dish. Push asparagus in between slices. Sprinkle with tomato and olives.
- Whisk eggs, milk and 1/2 cup cheese together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over bread mixture. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove and discard foil. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for a further 20 minutes or until top is golden and strata has set. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make dill gremolata. Combine dill, lemon and garlic in a bowl. Sprinkle strata with gremolata. Serve.