Make breakfast a special occasion with these American-style hotcakes from taste member, 'craw1'.
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 60g butter, melted, cooled
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Butter, extra, to serve
- Maple syrup, to serve
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar. Combine the eggs, butter, milk and vanilla in a jug. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Pour in the milk mixture and use a whisk to mix to a smooth batter. Cover with plastic wrap. Stand 10 minutes.
- Heat a medium non-stick frypan over medium to low heat. Lightly oil with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the pan and cook for 2 minutes or until small bubbles appear on the surface. Turn over and cook for 1 minute or until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Serve hotcakes with extra butter and maple syrup.