With a clever shortcut, you can create this fabulous parfait with amaretto and sweet cherries.
- 450g Madeira cake, cut into 1cm slices
- 150ml amaretto (see note)
- 10 egg yolks (see note)
- 250g caster sugar
- 1L (4 cups) thin cream
- Amarena Fabbri cherries (see note) or seasonal fruit, to serve
- Use the cake slices to line the base of a 28cm springform cake pan. You will need to cut some slices to fit, to ensure the base is completely covered. Brush cake with 1-2 tablespoons of amaretto.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until pale and thick.
- Beat in remaining amaretto. In a separate bowl, lightly whip cream until soft peaks form and fold into egg yolk mixture. Pour into cake pan and freeze overnight.
- Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving. Release from pan, slice using a knife dipped in hot water and serve with cherries or seasonal fruit.