Give frozen desserts a sophisticated makeover with Amaretto and aromatic vanilla bean.
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) thickened cream
- 300ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 5 egg yolks
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup) amaretto liqueur
- Place the cream, milk and vanilla pod in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside for 20 minutes to infuse. Remove the vanilla pod and use a small sharp knife to scrape seeds into the cream mixture. Discard pod.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl until thick and pale. Gradually stir the cream mixture into the egg mixture.
- Pour into a clean saucepan and place over low heat. Cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until the custard coats the back of the spoon. Remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Stir in the amaretto.
- Place in a metal container. Cover with foil and place in the freezer for 6 hours or until almost set.
- Break up the ice-cream with a metal spoon. Transfer to a bowl and beat with an electric beater until smooth. Return to the metal container. Cover with foil and freeze for a further 4 hours or until firm. Serve with dessert.