These charming Italian macaroons are best enjoyed with a cuppa at tea time.
- 1 cup blanched whole almonds
- 110g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 eggwhites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons pure icing sugar
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) almond essence
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- Espresso, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place almonds on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes until golden brown, turning after 5 minutes. Set aside to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 160°C.
- Place almonds and half the caster sugar in a food processor and process until fine crumbs. Beat eggwhites and cream of tartar in a bowl until stiff peaks form. Gradually add remaining caster sugar until combined and glossy, then beat in almond essence. Combine almond mixture and icing sugar in a bowl. Fold into eggwhites until just combined.
- Grease and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Spoon mixture into a piping bag (use a 1cm nozzle) and pipe rounds, about 3cm in diameter, on tray (or place spoonfuls of mixture on tray).
- Top each biscuit with a flaked almond, then bake for 15 minutes until crisp. Cool completely. Serve with espresso.