Just like the Italians, you'll love the taste of 'la dolce vita' in these delightfully scrumptious macaroons.
- 500g almond meal
- 1 3/4 cups (400g) caster sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 30 whole blanched almonds
- 30 red glace cherries, halved
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Place almond meal, sugar, egg whites and vanilla essence in a large bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Roll 2 teaspoonfuls of the mixture into balls. Place on the trays. Press a blanched almond into the top of half of the biscuits and a glace cherry into the remaining balls.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until light golden. Set aside to cool slightly on the trays before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.