These traditional Greek biscuits are known as kourabiedes and are also a popular Christmas treat.
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup icing sugar mixture
- 2 cups plain flour
- 120g packet flaked almonds
- Extra icing sugar mixture, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 170C/150C fan-forced. Line 3 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, vanilla and lemon rind together until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until just combined. Stir in almond meal, icing sugar and flour. Mix well to combine.
- Roll 1 level tablespoon mixture into a log. Roll in flaked almonds. Shape into a crescent. Place on 1 prepared tray. Repeat with remaining mixture and flaked almonds, placing crescents 4cm apart on trays.
- Bake, 1 tray at a time, for 15 to 20 minutes or until pale golden. Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Carefully transfer to a baking paper-lined wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust biscuits heavily with icing sugar. Serve.