Filled with the right blend of jam, raisins and almonds, this polenta shortcake makes an undeniably mouth-watering treat.
- 405g (1 1/4 cups) raspberry jam
- 145g (3/4 cup) raisins, chopped
- 65g (1/2 cup) toasted slivered almonds, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
- 140g (3/4 cup) instant polenta (cornmeal)
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Milk, to brush
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Combine the jam, raisin, almond and orange rind in a medium bowl.
- Combine the flour, polenta and caster sugar in a large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Whisk together the eggs and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until mixture starts to hold together. Knead gently until smooth and turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide pastry in half.
- Use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll out 1 pastry half on a lightly floured surface until 5mm thick. Use the pastry to line the base and sides of a 22cm square (base measurement) fluted non-stick tart tin with removable base. Trim excess pastry.
- Pour the jam mixture evenly over the pastry. Roll out the remaining pastry and place over the filling. Press to seal and brush with milk. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden. Set aside in the tin for 10 minutes to cool before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.