We've added extra sweetness and crunch to these more-ish Italian biscotti.
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond essence
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup almond kernels
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Using an electric mixer, beat egg, egg yolk, sugar and essence in a large bowl until pale and thick. Sift over flour and baking powder. Add almonds and cranberries. Stir to combine.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly until smooth. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a 20cm-long log. Place on trays. Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden, swapping position of trays halfway through cooking. Cool on trays for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 140°C/120°C fan-forced. Using a serrated knife, slice logs diagonally into 5mm-thick slices. Discard ends.
- Place biscotti, in a single layer, on baking trays. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, or until dry and crisp. Stand on trays for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve.