This moist almond cake is so simple to make and is pure indulgence when partnered with wine soaked peaches.
- Melted butter, to grease
- 300g (3 cups) almond meal
- 315g (1 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 250g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 215g (1 cup) caster sugar, extra
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 8 green cardamom pods, bruised
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) dessert wine
- 6 small peaches
- Pure icing sugar, to dust
- Double cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a square 20cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted butter to grease. Line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper.
- Combine the almond meal and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs and brandy in a separate bowl. Add the butter and whisk until just combined. Add to the sugar mixture and stir until well combined. Pour into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with slivered almonds. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, combine the extra sugar, water and cardamom pods in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer. Cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the wine and simmer for 2 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly. Add the peaches and simmer for 5 minutes or until just tender. Set aside to cool.
- Peel the peaches and discard the skin. Halve. Remove and discard the stones. Return the peaches to the syrup.
- Place cake on a serving platter. Dust with icing sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature with cream and poached peaches.