With more nutrients than rice, barley's the star of this meal-in-a-bowl.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g lean beef chuck, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 500ml (2 cups) salt-reduced chicken stock
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 80g (1/3 cup) pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 (about 400g) large truss tomatoes, finely chopped
- 300g sweet potato (kumara), peeled, cut into 1cm pieces
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in the beef for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat. Stir in the carrot, celery and onion for 8 minutes or until soft. Stir in garlic and rosemary for 1 minute or until aromatic. Return the beef to the pan.
- Add stock, water, barley and bay leaves. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, skimming any scum that rises to the surface, for 1 1/2 hours. Add tomato and sweet potato. Simmer for 30 minutes or until beef is tender. Season with pepper.