Homemade BBQ chilli mayo makes this juicy steak sandwich extra special.
- 2 cups beer-can cabbage, finely shredded (see notes)
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 (about 150g each) Australian Beef Scotch Fillet Steaks
- 2 red onions, thickly sliced crossways
- 8 slices Bakery Stone Baked White Sourdough Vienna*
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves, extra, to serve
- 2 long red chillies
- 1/2 cup (120g) light sour cream
- 1/2 cup (150g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or chilli sauce
- To make the BBQ chilli mayo, heat a barbecue or chargrill on high. Cook the chillies, turning occasionally, for 5 mins or until blackened all over. Transfer to a sealable plastic bag and set aside for 5 mins (this helps lift the skin).
- Carefully peel the chillies. Halve lengthways and use the blade of a sharp knife to scrape and remove the seeds. Finely chop the chilli flesh. Combine with the sour cream, mayonnaise and sriracha or chilli sauce in a small bowl.
- Combine cabbage, carrot, parsley and 1 tbs of the BBQ chilli mayo in a bowl.
- Use a sharp knife to cut each steak horizontally into 2 thin steaks. Place a steak between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to gently pound until 1cm thick. Season well. Repeat with remaining steaks.
- Cook steaks on the barbecue for 1 min each side for medium or until cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil. Set aside for 5 mins to rest.
- Meanwhile, cook the onion on the barbecue for 2 mins each side or until onion softens. Transfer to a plate. Toast bread on the barbecue for 1 min each side or until lightly charred.
- Combine the avocado, lime juice and 1 tbs of the remaining BBQ chilli mayo in a bowl. Season.
- Divide half the bread among serving plates. Spread evenly with avocado mixture. Top with the cabbage mixture, radish and half the onion. Top with steaks and a dollop of remaining BBQ chilli mayo. Top with the remaining onion, extra parsley leaves and remaining bread.