Mouth-watering Asian flavours spring to life in this super-healthy and easy noodle dish.
- 8 dried Asian mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dashi granules (see note)
- 20ml (1 tablespoon) light soy sauce
- 20ml (1 tablespoon) dark soy sauce
- 40ml (2 tablespoons) mirin (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 300g firm tofu, quartered
- 1 tablespoon flour, to dust
- 200g buckwheat (soba) noodles (see note), cooked, drained
- Soak mushrooms for 10 minutes in 1/2 cup of boiling water. Drain and discard liquid. Set aside.
- Place dashi in a pan with 250ml hot water over medium heat. Add the sauces, sugar, cornflour and mushrooms. Simmer for 3 minutes, then add the carrot and shallots.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Pat tofu dry with paper towel, then dip in flour that has been seasoned with salt and pepper. Fry tofu for 1 minute each side until golden.
- Place noodles in bowls, add a piece of tofu and pour over broth.