Splash out with these patriotic Australian lemon cakes.
- 100g cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing sugar mixture
- Icing sugar mixture, to dust
- 375g pkt white chocolate melts
- Star sprinkles, to decorate
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup (215g) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (125g) sour cream
- To make the lemon sour cream cake, preheat oven to 160C. Grease and line the base and two long sides of a 10 x 20cm (base measurement) loaf pan.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar and lemon rind in a medium bowl until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the combined flours and sour cream and stir until just combined.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and use a palet knife or the back of a spoon to smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven and set aside for 5 minutes before turning on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Use a serrated knife to trim the crusts of the cake. Break the cake into small pieces and transfer to the bowl of a food processor. Process until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a bowl.
- Place the cream cheese and icing sugar in a food processor and process until smooth and well combined. Add to the cake crumbs and stir until well combined.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Dust a clean work surface with icing sugar mixture. Shape cake mixture into a 1.5cm-thick disc. Use a 4.5cm star shaped pastry cutter to cut stars from the cake mixture and place on the lined tray, rerolling any excess cake mixture. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour or until firm.
- Place the white chocolate melts in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan half-filled with simmering water. Stir with a metal spoon until chocolate melts.
- Dip the end of 1 lollypop stick in chocolate then insert into the bottom of a star. Return to the tray. Repeat with remaining cake stars.
- Dip 1 cake star into the melted chocolate, turning to coat. Gently tap on the side of the bowl to remove excess chocolate. Return to the lined tray and sprinkle with star sprinkles while the chocolate is melted. Repeat with remaining stars, chocolate and sprinkles. Set aside for 30 minutes to set completely.