Take a rich tomato sauce base and top with tasty chicken schnitzels and eggplant for a family meal that's ready when you are.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 (700g) chicken breast schnitzels (uncrumbed), halved crossways
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 340g jar fire-roasted pepper strips, drained
- 230g tub diced antipasto chargrilled eggplant, drained (see note)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup Fountain Spicy Red sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 100g mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Basil leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in 2 batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in pan. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until onion has softened. Add peppers and eggplant. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add pasta sauce and Spicy Red sauce. Bring to the boil. Stir in basil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place half the chicken in a 10 cup-capacity ovenproof dish. Pour over half the sauce mixture. Top with remaining chicken and sauce mixture. Top with cheese. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until top is golden. Serve topped with basil.